Thursday, January 31, 2008

Panama City

I arrived in Panama City and after clearing customs, scanned the crowd for Lucia Lasso, my gracious host that works with Alianza por La Conservacion y el Desarollo. I didn't immediately see her, but there was someone holding a sign that said, "AES." I half-entertained pretending to be whoever they were looking for, but Lucia intercepted me first.
We walked out to her rav 4 speaking English about my flight and how late it was, then drove into the city covering the latest events as the familiar smells of carcinogens and smog wafted into the car in the warm night air.
First stop was checking in on the video ACD is doing on the hydroelectric dam projects in Panama. We didn't get to watch it before Lucia received a call that a resident of Charco, was staying with three other family members at a hotel here in town. Apparently AES Changuinola had brought this one man (who only speaks Ngobe) to Panama City in an attempt to isolate him and intimidate him into signing off his land to the company. The son had insisted that they come, too.
Lucia and I met with Susana, the ACD lawyer, and Ariel, the interim director of ACD, outside the hotel while they strategized how to best help this man. A similar situation had taken place with Isabel Becker who had been brought to the city and asked to sign a document with her fingerprint as she is unable to read so everyone was concerned that this family might also be tricked or taken advantage of. They spoke with the son letting him know their rights, the tactics being used and Susana's availability as his lawyer for free. Possibly they were successful in preventing another coercion by the company, but we'll only know after their talks with AES tomorrow. It is after all, ultimately the family's decision.
On the lighter side, I got to practice my rusty Ngobere (Ngobe language) for a little bit and was just generally inspired by the work of these three people that care so much about what happens to the Ngobe.
Tomorrow, I leave for Changuinola and make contact with my old friend Lorenzo whom I will ask to help get me inside Nance and past police checkpoints with all my camera equipment and gear.
Lucia's letting me sleep on her futon and borrow her laptop. Ella es buena gente.

dawn

No comments: